I'm looking at getting myself an 8series... any thoughts?

Hi everybody!

I'm new to BMWBoard... this is only my second thread and already I have learned alot!

But to get to the point... I'm realy interested in purchasing an 850ci... I love those cars! Nobody's got 'em, they're beautiful, powerful, and there seems to be a good amount on the market with low mileage in my area.

I was just hoping to get some Pros and Cons for you the owners and previous owners before I make a purchase. Such as, I've heard these cars are expensive to maintain, but I've also heard if you give them regular oil changes and tuning, they aren't too much of a bother on the walet.

I can't wait to hear your responses!
Thanks!
-John

Big Daddy

They are wonderful cars, but yes the V12 can be very expensive to maintain. An upper pan gasket R&R can run up to $1,200.00 because you have to pull the motor to get to it. It has two distributor caps, two rotors, two fuel filters, two throttle control motors (very expensive to replace), that said I had a 750iL and it was a wonderful car. Tons of power yet is was smooth and fun to drive. If you find one that has been maintained you should be ok, knowing that as they get older they may start requiring some of those expensive repairs.