Preview: 2009 BMW Z4 Roadster

Big Daddy

BMW will be converting the Z4 into a coupe-convertible with a folding metal hardtop when it introduces the next-gen model in early 2009. Recent spy shots of a prototype testing new Munich showed a car with a familiar shape to the current Z4. Short rear overhangs and a long hood characterized the test-mule but it also featured a new folding roof and was slightly larger than the current model. This is in-line with BMW’s plans to reposition the next Z4 into a higher price point as it makes way for the introduction of a smaller entry-level Z car.

[/IMG]

As reported yesterday, production of the new Z4 will be handled by BMW’s Regensburg plant in Germany. The move will enable BMW to produce volume sellers, such as its SUV models, in the US and take advantage of the favourable exchange rate. At the same time, low volume premium models like the new Z4 will be manufactured at plants in Germany.

A couple of years after the Z4 is launched in ‘09, BMW will add the potent M version of the car. This new model is in-line to receive the new high-rev 4.0L V8 engine that debuts in the new M3. Other engines for the new Z4 range will include the 300hp twin-turbo six, as well as the smaller 2.5L naturally aspirated petrol six.

This artist’s rendition of the car gives us a good indication as to what the final styling may look. BMW is expected to introduce styling derived from the CS concept across much of the range and this should also be visible on the Z4.

Full story and additional photos here: http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/bmw/preview-2009-bmw-z4-roadster/

Thanks for the post Dan. I like the looks of it. I had plans for an M Roadster in 2008, but I will be waiting at this point for the next gen M Roadster. The hard top and V8 are worth waiting for.

Big Daddy

I like the looks as well Kirby,much nicer looking than the current Z4 model. The hardtop is going to make the car a much better seller, as us soft top owners would much rather have folding hardtops. The V8 is going to make this a bad boy one mean roadster, can't wait soon it may be time to move up!

I also noticed that they are moving Z4 production to Regensburg from the US! You know what that means? Looks like another Euro delivery trip for me!!!!! Hmmm, you can pay about 60 euros to drive 5 laps on Nurburgring, oh yeah!!!

Dan, should we start planning a 2009 Euro Delivery trip for two M Roadsters??? [:)]

Here's the latest spy shot from "the Ring". Lights are a bit different, maybe. I think the black tape is hiding the true shape? I like the sharper angles on the bumper as well, almost like it might be an M bumper prototype.