road noise

doke99

My 2001 330 ci has a lot of road noise that sounds like the tires, but is it also possible that the wheel bearings could be making the growling sound heard more at slow speed below 40 mph. The brakes are good.

My 2001 330 ci has a lot of road noise that sounds like the tires, but is it also possible that the wheel bearings could be making the growling sound heard more at slow speed below 40 mph. The brakes are good.

My Dad's car made a lot of road noise, it stopped when he got new tires. (not a BMW tho)

Are all 4 worn the same, try and rotate them, see if the noise changes/lessens.

cak323i

I had experienced alot of road noise all of a sudden. Most of the noise, in my case, was coming from the rear of my car. I had my car inspected on a rack and my mechanic found out that my left rear wheel bearing had to be replaced, so I had both of them replaced. No more noise. If anything, rotate and balance your tires first and see if the noise changes. If not, then have a reliable mechanic put your car on the rack and have your wheel bearings checked. The mileage on my car was at 116k so if you are getting high mileage on your car I would suspect worn wheel bearings. They usually go out at about 120k or so. Something to think about. Hope this helps.