Service Engine Soon: P0455 code

Hi,

I have a 2002 BMW 330i and my wife filled it with gas and did not turn the gas cap all the way (it was just sitting on the tank) and so I now have a service engine soon light on. I thought it would clear after a sort time but is has now been 3 weeks and it is still there. I took the car to Advance Auto and read the code and it says "P0455: EVAP Emission Control System Leak (large)". Is this the gas cap related or was it just a coincidence that the Service Engine Light Soon came on at the same time due to a major problem?

Shouldn't the light have been reset after a few fillings? Also it has been more than 3 weeks. Any ideas? Thanks.

D

I had this happen on a 2004 Cadillac CTS and it turned out that the gas cap wasn't sealing correctly. This was covered under warranty but of couse even if it wasn't it would have been a very inexpensive fix. Once the gas cap was replaced with a new one the problem was resolved and didn't come back.

SO I went back to Advance Auto and used the scanner again and erased the code. So the Service Engine Light no longer appears. Was this OK to do?

If it is a real problem, will the Service light appear again? If it will appear again, then I am OK, right?

SO I went back to Advance Auto and used the scanner again and erased the code. So the Service Engine Light no longer appears. Was this OK to do?

If it is a real problem, will the Service light appear again? If it will appear again, then I am OK, right?
When I had the problem I tried that too since I had a scanner at home. The light came back after a few days. In your case, if it doesn't I would think that it was a simple case of a loose gas cap and not a problem that needs any further attention.