Steering sticking on full lock

oscar

I have recently bought a 325ci sport and had a the full service just prior to going out of warranty to fix all faults in warranty. One of the faults I identified for their attention was that the steering sticks when it is on full lock (sometimes, not always), e.g. when parking and requires quite a pull to release. BMW say they could not find a fault. Any ideas?

[thumb] I would like to say welcome to the club... my 2000 323i has the same problem/feature, I have to use what I feel is super-human strength to free my steering column after a steering lock. I work in software engineering, therefore would contend that BMW would describe it as a feature. Mine has always worked in the manner described, I'm a guy, therefore it never really bothered me, my wife on the other hand has a little heartburn with it. She also takes issue when I pull the parking brake a little too tight as well. I truely do not believe they (BMW) are going to fix this in the near future. Happy Motoring...[driving2]

tplsbmw

Here is a little trick I learned from my wonderful BMW service techie. If you find that your steering wheel is locked up and you can't turn the key, you don't need the strength of Superman to unlock it. JIggle the steering wheel and turn the key in the ignition AT THE SAME TIME. Works like a charm every time! I call it the turn and jiggle move. Try it next time.

Last edited:

oscar

Not when the steering lock is on.

Sorry i must clarify, it is not when the steering lock is on, but when a 'full lock' is on the steering (steering wheel fully turned one way or the other), e.g. if i park and in doing so have the steering on full lock and then wish to turn the wheel back it sticks and is very difficult to turn it back. It is not when the steering lock is on, i.e. i do not stop the engine and remove the keys.

yep... my 323ci has that problem too.

The way I get around it is get the car move forward a little bit, then the steering would be easier to be release. If this does not work, most of the time I would need to restart the car, and it works fine most of the time without the need of super human power.

i have the same issue w/ my car, in parkinglots. i just figured it's normal operation, as weird as it is.. so i try not to full lock it. as big bear said, the easiest way to get it turning again is to inch it forward/ backward.

tplsbmw said:
Here is a little trick I learned from my wonderful BMW service techie. If you find that your steering wheel is locked up and you can't turn the key, you don't need the strength of Superman to unlock it. JIggle the steering wheel and turn the key in the ignition AT THE SAME TIME. Works like a charm every time! I call it the turn and jiggle move. Try it next time.
yup, it happens in every car. sometimes the wheel gets locked after you turn the ignition off and the key won't turn. just pull the wheel the other way and start normally. i think its more prevalent in bimmers, cuz the wheel locks so easily upon exiting.

raunen

slightly off topic but related: have you ever had a steering wheel lock up while driving (for just a brief moment)?

I have recently bought a 325ci sport and had a the full service just prior to going out of warranty to fix all faults in warranty. One of the faults I identified for their attention was that the steering sticks when it is on full lock (sometimes, not always), e.g. when parking and requires quite a pull to release. BMW say they could not find a fault. Any ideas?
Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem? I have the exact problem but I've had the car for 7 years and it just started happening after changing my control arms and getting an alignment??