Tail Light Indicator

sterstar1

Hello all. I've searched (and found) related threads but none seem to fit my pecise question. I've got a 2002 325xi and the right-rear light indicator on my dash is lit-up. I swear I've checked every light (license plate, reverse, running, turning signal) and not one light is out. Yet the indicator remains lit. If it helps diagnose the problem, this started a few months ago but would only come on now and then and would go off on it's own. Or sometimes I would just turn on my headlights and the indicator would turn off. Now it just stays on all the time. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

circa83

Hi sterstar1,

I have a '01 325 XI and had a similar problem while driving to california a couple of weeks ago.

While driving the indicator came on saying that my tailight had gone out, a few miles down the road it went off...

About 300 miles later it came on again. this time i stopped and checked it out and the drivers side break light was in fact not working.

I got back to colorado and unloaded my luggage from the trunk and a day later the light came on. Odd since there where times during my trip that the trunk was empty.

After scratching my head and not seeing any evident interferance from the luggage I decided that something leaning against the drivers side of the trunk was interfering with the break light.

The light has not been on since, i have since lost interest in the issue. But I am assuming that it is fixed. Maby your problem is something similar?

[confused]

make sure you are not useing brass bottom bulbs they will do this, also the connectors on the bulb carrier get burned and this will cause this also, look very carefully at the pins to see any corrosion, if so the connector and the carrier should be replaced

zman

My tail light warning drives me crazy!

make sure you are not useing brass bottom bulbs they will do this, also the connectors on the bulb carrier get burned and this will cause this also, look very carefully at the pins to see any corrosion, if so the connector and the carrier should be replaced
Is this really the correct answer that the brass bottom bulbs causes the issue?

I have 2003 325XI that is having the problem now. The tail light warning goes on/off as I drive the car. My light bulb is the original light bulb. Do you think the original bulb is a cheap bulb?

I read another thread and pointing to BMW Service Bulletin SI B 63 03 06. It is basically saying that there is a minor corrosion at the 8-pin rear lamp connector housing.

I check mine, but I didn't pull out the cable from the housing. It appears to be OK from outside.

Has anyone come up with a solution for this issue?[???1]

Thanks!

ddone

This reminds me of the the problem that I had with my 2003 BMW 325i and it turned out to be the rear tail light assemblies in that the grounding was bad and so the lights were on/off intermittently. In my case, both rear tail light assemblies needed to be replaced.

Again, as you stated, the indicator would be lit, or not, for long (weeks) or short periods (2 hours) of time.

Of course, this occurred about five months after my warranty expired!