Tires: What & Where?

Need new tires on my 2001 BMW 325i. Anyone have suggestions on which ones to get (and where to get them - I live in DC)?

Unfortunately I need a new rim for my spare as well, and would appreciate any input!

Ltz

You should stick with the general size(s) listed in the manual, and more specifically, on the door sticker. The rims are designed for a few specific width tires. You can usually go one size larger or smaller, but not always. For example, if it calls for 215 you can usually go to 225 but certainly not to 235.

If you go here http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp
you can enter your stock size and it will tell you what options are safe. Going outside the safe range can cause tire rubbing, brake overheating, reduced stopping power, etc.

William330

Ordered the Continental ContiSportContact 2 from TireRack.com and have been very pleased:

Get them installed at the BMW dealer, it's worth the extra few bucks to have it done right.

jfriedman

Need new tires on my 2001 BMW 325i. Anyone have suggestions on which ones to get (and where to get them - I live in DC)?

Unfortunately I need a new rim for my spare as well, and would appreciate any input!

Ltz
As for tires, I have been happy with Tire Rack. They ship them almost overnight and they find a reputable place where you can get them installed for a fair price (usually less than $30 / tire. They can ship the tires to that location. I have been happy with the purchase and the service (at two different shops.)

I replaced the tires with the original factory Michelin's and have not liked the Michelin's at the end of their useful lives.

As to rims, I needed a new rim and found a place on eBay in Florida that offered four beautiful replacements (knockoffs that looked just like BMW's wheels) for the price of one BMW oem wheel. Sorry I did that because the wheel scuffs poorly. The quality is poor, but I guess I got what I paid for. Live and learn.
JAF

ddone

I have a 2003 BMW 325i (16" wheels) and I started with the OEM (ContiTouring Contact) and went to Pirelli PZero Nero and then onto Michelin Pilot Exalto A / S.

The Pirelli's were a step up from the OEMs (quieter, better in wet, and snow) but the Michelin's are significantly better than the Pirelli's. They are significantly quieter than the Pirelli's and give a great ride with good adhesion in wet and snow (I live in Chicago so we get some snow and ice.) While they're expensive, they're amazingly good.

I've had great luck with Tire Rack for my last three sets of tires.