Whistling here in dixie

I have a 1999 323i that has never given me any trouble. But it has started whistling when I start it up in the moorning and lately it still whistles while I'm driving. What is that sound? I talked to the BMW repair guy and he said it might be a pulley. Duh I have no idea.

Big Daddy

Maybe a vacuum leak, any change in performance? Get a mechanics stethoscope and listen to the individual parts (pulleys) with it and see where the whistle is coming from.

whistling noise

Hi there,

As big daddy said, it could be a vacuum leak. I think if not a vacuum leak, it could be the cyclonic valve (basically an oil separator, or like a PCV valve) located under the intake manifold, beside the throttle valve.
It's not an easy job to replace this piece.
If there's a vacuum leak, you can use brake cleaner or even WD-40 sprayed liberally over the air intake ducts, and listen for a change in idle.

Good luck,
Tiger

oil intact ducts

Hi there,

As big daddy said, it could be a vacuum leak. I think if not a vacuum leak, it could be the cyclonic valve (basically an oil separator, or like a PCV valve) located under the intake manifold, beside the throttle valve.
It's not an easy job to replace this piece.
If there's a vacuum leak, you can use brake cleaner or even WD-40 sprayed liberally over the air intake ducts, and listen for a change in idle.

Good luck,
Tiger
I'm scared to do that![8]